Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Election 2004 Passion vs Hope and Dreams

June 23,2004 Welfare Wednesday


Underbelly of Vancouver
Downtown Eastside

Hi All!

Its Wednesday morning and I'm feeling exhausted, however I sense that the SHIRLEY CHAN campaign in Van-East is peaking at just the right time. Campaigning in this working class riding is exciting! We are on the upswing and let me say its no easy feat running against an incumbent. Especially one that is so passionate in her beliefs. But our campaign has been undeterred in this regard. The Shirley Chan campaign has heart and soul. We continue to stand strong and continue to lead by example. We dare to Dream! We strive to embrace Hope. Our workers are unwavering in their dedication and commitment. Of course, needless to say we have a GEM of a candidate who has articulated her vision of a healthier and stronger Van-East. It is this Dream that we embrace as we stand with Pride and Love for our candidate and for our neighbourhood of Van-East.

Often during this campaign I have been asked why I have chosen to support Shirley Chan over Libby Davies. The reason is simple. As a lifer of the Downtown Eastside, my neighbourhood is crumbling before my eyes. It has become a dumping ground and poverty is rampant. And Libby Davies is most often caught up in a web of trying to juggle the interests of well paid Service providers vs the Peoples she purports to represent. More often then not Ms Davies has come out on the side of organizations which by and large, she believes can deliver her votes. However, the shovelling of millions of dollars into the area hasn't truly helped the people of the area. What is needed are jobs and hope.....

I also want to say, I doubt whether I could support just any candidate in this riding. My support for Shirley Chan is based on her dedication, commitment and knowledge of the neighbourhood and its residents. This community needs a representative in Government. Libby Davies has no hope of being in Government and Shirley Chan is the one candidate who can deliver Hope and Prosperity back to this neighbourhood and its people. While the mean streets have been my home for over 40 years, one thing I know is for certain, getting results is vitally important for my neighbourhood. Passion is just not good enough.

Just as Shirley Chan, like my late mother stood up to the Bulldozers in the 70's which would have destroyed our community and neighbourhood, Shirley is again standing up for the interests of the people of the DTES. She will not allow our neighbourhood to be razed. She is fearless and knows the underdog can Win! In the truest sense of the word, She is a Warrior! Shirley gives us Hope for a brighter, healthier and safer place to live, work and dream!!! And that's why she's my Candidate of Choice!!!!

Jamie Lee Hamilton
(604) 781-3361

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home