Wednesday, October 13, 2004

LETTER to MAYOR CAMPBELL

Underbelly News
Downtown Eastside

Hi All!

The following is a letter I sent to Mayor Campbell regarding my concerns over the resignation of Kelly MacDonald, a police board member.

October 13,2004

Dear Mayor Campbell,

As an aboriginal individual, please know how troubled I am by Ms Kelly MacDonald's resignation from the Vancouver Police Board.

I think whatever caused her discomfort and pain needs to be sorted out. Not addressing this issue leaves many unanswered questions.

Imagine what it's like for those of us of aboriginal ancestory, who believed we finally had a voice at the police board. A voice who would work to ensure our issues were not swept aside.
Ms MacDonald brings forth a wealth of experience in aboriginal policy and law. In my opinion this expertise benefits Vancouver. It demonstrates to the world that Vancouver really is an inclusive, tolerant city which values all its citizenry.

Obviously, one assumes that since you along with your council appointed Ms MacDonald to the board, she would have the needed support as a visible minority woman to effectively do her job. Her sudden resignation though leaves gaping holes.

Mr Campbell, it is in tough times when the mettle of a leader comes through. You as Mayor of this city and as Chair of the Police board should now exercise strong leadership.
For you to publicly state that you have no idea why Ms MacDonald chose to resign shows an uncaring attitude. Have you thought of perhaps phoning Ms MacDonald to see what her concerns are. Perhaps you could articulate to Ms MacDonald that the police board is open to solving any differences there may be.

Mayor Campbell, let me finally say that if this issue with Ms MacDonald isn't resolved than other scenarios can be imagined. Sadly one can be whether you have the necessary skills, during tough times to lead this city.

I hope Mayor Campbell you do the decent and honourable thing. Do whatever it takes to ensure the the knowledge, caring and passion of Ms MacDonald is not lost. I hope to see her seated at the policy shaping table at the next police board meeting.

Sincerely,

Jamie Lee Hamilton

1 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am looking for some good family trees resources for our ratings and review websites and believe it or not, yours popped up when I searched for family trees blogs. After reading your posts, I can see why Google led me to your site. Even though it's not what I am looking for, I'm glad I stopped long enough to read your posts. Just thought you'd like to know?.. thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home